Friday, February 19, 2010

Thank you Helen



This is a drawing (these are prints of) done by great aunt Helen Brown when she was aged 14. She was a celebrated Auckland artist in the 1950's and 1960's and was represented by the John Leech gallery. Her more famous works were more minimal/simplified seascapes in oils, they are quite breath taking. But the above work has been with me since I was a child- it was beside my bed at night- I used to imagine being in the night scene with the witches and creatures. It is my most precious possession.

Having Helen in our family has alway 'pre-laid' a path for myself, as she was successful in her pursuit, therefore my career has appeared more tangible- if that makes sense. Although I never knew her as an adult, she passed when I was six, I feel i have some sort of connection to her. I often think and wonder what she would do in situations that I find myself in.

So thank you Helen

I hope to organise a exhibition to honor her next year.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers